An homage to Christian Dior's childhood home in Granville, where sea meets land, Dior created the fragrance Dune. An invitation to escape, a search for happiness and one's inner self. Dune symbolizes the union of land and ocean, of woman and nature.
"Next fall Christian Dior Perfumes Inc. will launch its first women's fragrance in the U.S. in six years. The product, called Dune, made its debut in Europe and the Middle East in 1991."
"Mindful of current concern about the environment, Christian Dior looked to the sandy shores of Biarritz for inspiration when creating its new fragrance, Dune. The scent unites lily, wallflower and peony with the oceanic notes of broom, lichen and musk."
Who, before, would have bought a fragrance named Dune? The fragrance is meant to “restore inner balance and harmony with nature,” says Maurice Roger. president of Parfums Christian Dior.
For emphasis. Dior pledged $350,000 to The Nature Conservancy over three years for coastal dune protection is the cornerstone of Dior's nationwide Protect the Dunes initiative. The Conservancy plans to use the first year funds to preserve three important dune ecosystems, including more than 4,000 protected acres, as well as for a public service campaign to raise awareness of the fragility of dunes.
Christian Dior will formally present The Nature Conservancy with the initial donation of $150,000 at the Christian Dior Boutique in New York on Oct. 5, 1992. "Today, more than ever, corporations must respond to our planet's problems and its citizens' concerns," said Robert Cankes, Christian Dior Perfumes' U.S. president and chief executive officer. "The donation is Christian Dior's contribution to the preservation of the pure and natural coastal environment that inspired our newest fragrance, Dune. It recognizes The Nature Conservancy's vital role in protecting coastal ecosystems."
Commenting on Christian Dior's gift, John C. Sawhill, president and chief executive officer of The Nature Conservancy, said, "Scientists estimate that the '90s hold the key to preserving the ecological integrity of the planet. That's why it's important for the business community with companies like Christian Dior to reach out and form partnerships making preservation programs possible."
In conjunction with the U.S. launch of the fragrance, Dune, Christian Dior is encouraging the 500 Dune launch stores nationwide to create awareness for dune preservation through a variety of in-store education efforts, including showing of the public service announcements and distribution of consumer literature.
The Nature Conservancy is an international non-profit organization that preserves plants, animals and the natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and water they need to survive.
WHERE WILL THE MONEY GO? The first-year funds will be dedicated to three dune preserve projects that contain unique examples of coastal dune ecosystems:
- The Atlantic Double Dunes Preserve, located in Amagansett, Long Island, N.Y., spans 200 acres and stretches 2.5 miles. The exposed primary dune areas closest to the water represent the harshest environment on the Atlantic coastal plain. These dunes have historical significance as the former site of major whaling operations. In addition, Fowler's Toad, an extremely rare marine-edge amphibian, can be found along this stretch of beach.
- The Lanphere-Christensen Dunes Preserve in Northern California is a 338-acre dynamic ecosystem combining beach, forest and dune. Strong winds create dunes 80 feet high, which harbor the evening primrose, morning glories, Seaside Daisies and Menzie's wallflower, a rare and endangered plant that grows in only six other locations in the state.
- Located six miles north of Santa Barbara, Calif., and stretching 18 miles, the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes comprise one of the last areas of undeveloped coastline in the state. The Nature Conservancy manages more than 3,500 acres of the dunes, home to species like the Indian paintbrush and surf thistle.
WHAT WILL THE MONEY DO? The Nature Conservancy will use this donation for continued land management, protection, and stewardship of dune projects. This includes ongoing scientific study and monitoring of endangered plant and animal species that depend on the dune system for survival.
- Top notes: bergamot, mandarin, palisander, aldehyde, peony, broom
- Heart notes: jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, lily, wallflower, lichen
- Base notes: vanilla, patchouli, benzoin, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss, musk
Dune is currently available as:
- 1 oz Eau de Toilette
- 1.7 oz Eau de Toilette
- 3.4 oz Eau de Toilette
It was originally available as:
- 1 oz Parfum
- Body Milk
- Body Cream
- Body Lotion
- Dusting Powder
- Perfumed Soap
- Shower Gel
- Deodorant Spray